The Sokołowsko of Krzysztof Kieślowski

11 December 2017

Krzysztof Kieślowski was born on 27th June 1941 in occupied Warsaw. - I don't know where we lived, what we did during the war – confided the director. In his mind eye he could just see the images of the journey: luggage, trains, furniture behind him...

In 1951 the Kieślowski family temporarily settles in Sokołowsko. Krzysztof attends the local primary school. His father struggles with tuberculosis and cannot work. In the years 1952-53 Krzysztof moves between Strzemieszyce and Sokołowsko, staying, among others, in tuberculosis preventoriums in Rabka, Wisła and Bukowina Tatrzańska. From there, he regularly writes letters and postcards to his parents and grandmother Maria, while his father stays in Swierz for several months, to move for good to Sokołowsko with his whole family in 1954. They live on 23 Główna St. opposite the Zdrowie Cinema. Krzysztof attends school in the nearby town of Mieroszów (6 km from Sokołowsko), his mother is in charge of the social department in the Sokołowsko sanatorium complex, his father working part-time.

In 1955 Krzysztof graduates from elementary school in Mieroszów. Then, he tries his hand successively in a fireman school in Wrocław and later in a high school in Wałbrzych (1956/57) but ultimately ends up in Warsaw – in the State School of Theater Technology, from which he graduates in 1962. Krzysztof's father dies in 1960 in Sokołowsko and is buried at the cemetery in Mieroszów. His mother decides to move to Otrębusy near Warsaw to be closer to her children. Over the period of their stay in Sokołowsko, the director and his parents engaged in regular correspondence, which can now be found compiled in the collection of The Krzysztof Kieślowski Archive. Kieślowski returned to Sokołowsko a few times when he was already a professional director. In 1973 he filmed the documentary “X-ray” in the local Biały Orzeł sanatorium, where his father was treated. Later he would come in passing, when visiting his father’s grave, for the last time in 1995.


Financed with subsidy of The Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland