GO UP

Krzysztof Kieślowski's Sokołowsko

09 December 2015

On the connections between the director, Sokołowsko and the Lower Silesia region...

In 1951 the Kieślowski family briefly settles in Sokołowsko. Krzysztof attends the local primary school. His father is struggling with tuberculosis and can't work in his profession. In the year 1952-53 Krzysztof wanders between Strzemieszyce and Sokołowsko, staying among others in tuberculosis preventoriums in Rabka, Wisła and Bukowina Tatrzańska. From there he regularly wrote letters and postcards to his parents and grandmother Maria, while his father stays in Swierz for several months in order to move for good to Sokołowsko with his whole family in 1954. They live on 23 Główna St., the “Zdrowie” cinema is on the other side of the street. Krzysztof attends school in the near by Mieroszów (6 km from Sokołowsko), his mother is in charge of the social department in the Sokołowsko sanatorium complex, his father only has part-time work.

In 1955 Krzysztof graduates from elementary school in Mieroszów. Then he tries his hand successively in a fireman school in Wrocław and later in a high school in Wałbrzych (1956/57), but ultimately ends up in Warsaw – in the State School of Theater Technology, which he graduates from in 1962. Krzysztof's father dies in 1960 in Sokołowsko and is buried at the cemetery in Mieroszów. His mother decides to move to Otrębusy near Warsaw to be closer to her children.

Over the period of their stay in Sokołowsko the director and his parents engaged in regular correspondence, which can now be found compiled in the collection of The Krzysztof Kieślowski Archive. Kieślowski will return to Sokołowsko: he will visit his father's grave, about which he will write a letter to his mother, and in 1973 he will film, in the local sanatorium where his father was treated, the documentary movie “X-ray”.

This is why The Krzysztof Kieślowski Archive is located in Sokołowsko.

RETURN TO HOMEPAGE

Kategorie

PARTNERS
Financed with subsidy of The Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland